Product Development Engineer Job Opening
The Project Development Engineer manages the preliminary design and scope development for early stage projects, managing internal and external personnel to provide site studies and diligence, technical input into permits, support interconnection processes, diligence of acquisitions, project layouts, single lines, cost estimate, and schedules. Development Engineers will work closely with Strata’s internal departments including: origination, development, project engineering, construction, procurement, project finance, and O&M; as well as with EPC contracts, Independent Engineers, financing parties, and other consultants, contractors, and stakeholders as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and communicate engineering/technical input to site evaluation, characterization, and permitting.
- Manage all resources internally or externally as necessary to prepare and or review preliminary designs, performance estimates, cost, estimates, schedules, permitting documents, site diligence documents, acquisition diligence documents, power purchase agreements, and risks to support project development and origination.
- Manage, review and communicate key due diligence requirements and costs on new opportunities and acquisitions.
- Engineering point of contacts for the origination and development teams supporting new commercial, community solar, utility scale project development and bidding opportunities.
- Provide optimized equipment selection (modules, inverters, racking) in order to maximize project economics and win rate.
- Represent Strata Solar in interviews, meetings, negotiations with clients, project developers, suppliers, consultants, utilities and regulatory authorities.
- Attend and/or manage personnel who attend site walks to gather preliminary site assessment information to be used in the early stage design and scoping documentation.
- Technical support and management of internal business development programs and initiatives.
Supervises junior Project Development Engineers. Assists with interviewing and conducts peer reviews for the department.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- BS. degree in mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering, or related subject – M.S. degree and/or P.E. desirable.
- 6+ years of solar industry experience, including 2+ years or direct EPC experience completing the detailed design, permitting, and construction of solar projects.
- Understanding of solar project design and optimization tradeoffs and familiarity with current solar market, equipment suppliers, contractors, typical technical specifications, and costs.
- Experience with solar project financing and independent engineer requirements.
- Understanding of solar energy estimates, losses, assumptions, and standards.
- Experience with review and negotiation of engineering, procurement, and construction contracts and technical exhibits for solar facilities.
- Experience managing consultants and contractors.
- Working knowledge of relevant US and IEC equipment standards, codes and construction practices.
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated with ability to perform in a dynamic and collaborative working environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20%
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize work, manage relationship with clients, colleagues, consultants and contractors.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, mathematical competence, creative design and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat, Google Earth, and common dataroom services-PVsyst, Helioscope, AutoCad, and scheduling software proficiency desirable.